[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 10:15:21 -0400

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>    A year ago I resigned from a web development company because they forced
> me to write Perl. I switched to Python and was and is very happy about it.
> I don't want to see a line of Perl. And after all DC annonced Perl Methods!
>    How do you think I can feel about it? I resigned (i.e. - spent my money,
> nervous, my time to switch to another company) - and what I found now? Perl
> again.

It's just a word.  You don't need to use it.  You could even set up a
filter on your mail client to get rid of it entirely.

>    Well, I can see good points here. Perl methods probably will attract
> more users. But I can see bad points, too. What if my perl developer
> resigned? Should I pick up his code? I don't want, I want Python. Should I
> spent a lot of time manually converting his code to Python Method and debug
> it? "There is always too many ways to do it" - it is Perl motto, not
> Python. I am pretty sure Zope shouldn't has too many scripting languages.
> Many protocols - yes, it is very good. But many languages? No, that's bad.

Don't hire a Perl developer.  Don't use Perl in Zope.

Zope has DTML and Python, both of which will stay.  You will have the
option of using Perl and XSLT methods pretty soon.  If you don't need
them or don't want them, don't use them.  There are lots of people for
whom this will be a natural entry point in to Zope.  You happen not to
be one of them.

Sheesh, it's like we'd recommended Microsoft in here or something.  :-)