[Zope] ANN: Perl For Zope

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 25 May 2000 08:00:34 -0700

>    Well, I can see good points here. Perl methods probably will attract
>more users. But I can see bad points, too. What if my perl developer
>resigned? Should I pick up his code? I don't want, I want Python. Should I
>spent a lot of time manually converting his code to Python Method and debug
>it? "There is always too many ways to do it" - it is Perl motto, not
>Python. I am pretty sure Zope shouldn't has too many scripting languages.
>Many protocols - yes, it is very good. But many languages? No, that's bad.

I was thinking about the announcement for a while as well. I do not like
Perl. I think your point is very good though. Right now I am using Zope for
a client and everything is fine. If Zope supports Perl, they may hire Perl
people. And you are right, what if they quit? It may happen that the market
to find qualified Zope programmers becomes even tighter, since Zope
programmers are now required to speak both, Python and Perl well.
 From a technological and development point of view, I think implementing
Perl is great and very exciting....imagining making this "scribble"
language object-oriented. But at the end I like my good looking
object-oriented Python code. :)

Regards,
Stephan
--