[Zope] Higher Education

Phil Langton phil.langton@bristol.ac.uk
Fri, 26 May 2000 16:04:19 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Shane,

Thanks for the reply.  There will be interest in Bristol (probably).

A wiki sounds like a good way to start, let's see what falls out of the
ether!

As for a name, how about ZEN?  Connotations of enlightenment and could
stand for 'Zope Education Network'

Phil

On Fri, 26 May 2000 09:35:24 -0400 Shane Hathaway <shane@digicool.com>
wrote:

> Phil Langton wrote:
> >
> > Someone has mentioned that Digital Creations has taken on someone who
> > is to implement a zope-based virtual learning environment tool kit.
> >
> > Is this so?
> > Any mailing lists or contacts or test areas?
>
> You're probably referring to me.  I haven't taken an active role in
> this area recently because of the time it takes to get married
> (January/February), change jobs (March/April), move across the country
> (April), and get settled in a new area. :-)
>
> The zope-edu project was doing well for a while but we were unable to
> define the scope of the project.  There are a lot of facets involved
> and everybody was approaching it with a very different perspective.
> And nobody knew the technology well enough: it's too easy to
> re-implement things in Zope that have already been done by others.  A
> battle ensued over naming conventions (ZSchool? ZopeEdu? Something
> else?) and the mailing list eventually reached an activity level of
> zero.
>
> We could start again with a new approach: a Wiki!  Wikis work very well
> for initial designs.  We could take the good posts from pi.slcc.edu and
> put them into the Wiki right away.
>
> How many are still interested in this?
>
> Shane

Phil Langton.  Dept. Physiology, School of Medical Sciences,
University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TD
Tel: 44 (117) 928-8923; Fax: 44 (117) 928-8923
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Physiology/Staff/PDL/web_pdl.htm

"But what....is it good for" (Engineer with the
Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM refering to the microchip in
1968)