[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] ANN: Perl For Zope - why I'm bummed

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Sat, 27 May 2000 15:34:45 -0400

Roman wrote:
> Perhaps this is a disadvantage to the DC company-owned open-source
> project model.  They will make bad decisions based on potential
> profit.

I wanted to address this specifically.

This is, in the abstract, a legitimate concern that comes up repeatedly
about Netscape/Mozilla.  Obviously that kind of model has some
tremendous benefits, namely paid resources and clarity of vision.  At
the same time, though, there is the potential for abuse.

As the person that made the decision, I can at least testify that no
ulterior motives were behind it.  Still, Zope is a community thing, and
we here at DC need our heads bopped on a regular basis, lest we ever
forget it.

Consider our heads bopped. :^)

--Paul