[Zope] Why Perl for Zope is good

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar@maxnm.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 10:42:28 +0300

1. Zope is complicated
2. Adding Perl to Zope makes it more complicated
3. Most of us here have some Zope knowledge
4. All the Perl programmers who will flock to Zope won't have this knowledge
5. Zope with Perl will be even more popular

RESULT:  We can get rich as Zope consultants.

All the arguments I've heard here are rather fanciful - Zope will be less
stable, Zope will be corrupted, the majority of Products will be written in
Perl and destroy Zope.  This is ridiculous.  It's like saying DC should take
out DTML cause people might try to write business-logic in it (which I have
done, but I know better now.)

Perl is better than Python in some things (a lot more available modules, for
one thing), and Python is better than Perl in most other things.  For
example, my co-worker Noa once ported the Perl module for making english
words  plural to Python - if we had Perl Methods we could simply use that
and not waste time porting it.

And again - You don't have to use it (TM).  And if the thought of
maintaining someone else's Perl code is so horrible, think about maintaining
someone else's DTML code.  Like, I once tried to write a workflow system in
DTML :)

--
Itamar S.T.  itamar@maxnm.com