[Zope] WebObjects

Luciano Ramalho luciano@hiper.com.br
Mon, 29 May 2000 14:47:55 -0300

WebObjects fits a definition that also works for Zope: both are object-oriented
frameworks combined with middleware to enable web applications.

Unlike Zope, WebObjects does not have any persistence mechanism of its own; it
depends on an RDMS to store objects. Oracle, Sybase and Informix are supported
over Solaris or HP-UX; these plus ODBC also work on NT; no other server
platforms are currently supported.

The object-relational mapping mechanism WO uses, however, is very advanced and,
in a basic level, easy to use too. Classes are written in Java by a case-like
tool and automatically bound to tables. In fact, programmers rarely have any
contact with SQL: all necessary queries are generated automatically by the IDE
(which runs only on NT and MacOS X).

WebObjects has a powerful user-session handling mechanism. That, together with
the tighter integration with an RDBMS, makes it a better choice than Zope for
heavily transactional sites, I believe. However, WO does not have anything
resembling ZODB with its rich features (versioning, acquisition), so it is a
much inferior alternative for complex content-oriented sites where Zope excels.

These are my first impressions. I´ve been trying WO for a few days now, but one
of our Zope customers has been using it heavily for almost a year. I see WO and
Zope as complementary technologies, but using them together in a project would
be very difficult if not totally impractical.

Best regards,

Luciano