[Zope] product installation voodoo

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 16:48:17 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "michael angelo ruberto" <michaelangelo@intelligenesis.net>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 4:11 PM
Subject: [Zope] product installation voodoo

> why do some products install fine on their own and others require voodoo
> incantations and sacrificial goats?

Usually, products written completely in Python can be installed just by
untarring the file. Products built through the web (ZClasses) usually comes
as a .zexp file, which is essentially the pickled objects that make up the
ZClasses, DTML Methods, etc. These need to be imported from the Products
Control Panel. Is that the voodoo you're talking about?

The difference is basically whether the product is just distributed as files
that go in your file system, or as objects that need to live somewhere in
your ZODB.

> can somebody tell me what the
> permissions for products should look like?

I'm not sure that it really matters as long as your webserver process can
read the files.

Kevin