[Zope] absolute_url and growing URLS????

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 31 May 2000 21:55:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Andrew

 > I've got a strange problem I call "growing URLS"
 >
 > When I click on links that take me around a section on folders on zope, the urls just keep
 > piling on each other.
This seems to be an effect of aquisition.

In Zope, you can see at a place everything that is above it in the
Zope tree. Example:

If your page has URL: a/b/c
and inside you page you use the *relative* URL "a",
your *browser* will form the URL "a/b/c/a".
In a normal file systems, this will give a "Not Found" error.
In Zope however, you will get "a" but with the "URL" "a/b/c/a",
because "c" has aquired "a".

So you must be careful with relative URL's.
Look at the URL* and BASE* Zope defined objects (--> DTML reference).
They can help you to contruct (absolute) URLs.
You may also use ".." to go to a parent.

Dieter