[Zope] Zope Email (syndication)

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 22:22:36 +0100

"Karl G. Ulbrich" wrote:

> > > Yup, this sounds like mail-in content to me, which is what I'm after :-)
>
> If the goal is mail-in content, I'm not sure I understand IMAP to be
> anything approaching what you want:  IMAP doesn't ACCEPT messages,
> at least not any of the IMAP servers I've seen, it serves messages
> up to clients (one of which could be Zope, like WorldPilot does).

IMAP servers don't accept messages for forwarding or delivery. However,
they do accept messages to be placed in their folders. For example, I
use Netscape and Cyrus IMAP. When I send out an email, Netscape places a
copy of the email in a Cyrus IMAP "sent mail" folder.

You could expose the ZODB object tree as IMAP folders and messages. Then
you would be able to view objects, perhaps with each view of an object
represented as part of a multi-part MIME message. You'd be able to
upload new objects by writing them as emails.

I reckon this is quite feasible, and possibly even useful :-)

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer