[Zope] How small a box can zope run on?

Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:44:02 +0000

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:39:54 -0600, Bill Anderson <bill@noreboots.com>
wrote:

>What OS is this on?

All of them ;-)

>On Linux each thread does _NOT_ get a copy of the
>ODB. It just _looks_ like it.

I suspect you are referring to the characteristic that several Linux
memory-reporting tools list the memory used by one Zope process once
for each thread.

That's not the characteristic I am referring to....Each zope publisher
thread really does have its own copy of the ZODB object cache.

You can verify this by checking the value "Total number of objects in
all of the caches combined" from Control Panel. This number should be
roughly (number of threads) * (target size), although there are many
factors that can affect it.

>See the archives for details. The benefit
>from smaller thread counts is that:
>A) Multiple threads is not a big boost on uniprocessor machines

This is only true if Zope is saturating your processor. It may not be
true if you are publishing any methods that are mostly I/O (file
access, or other web requests)

>B) Python does some different things with threads, see the Global
>Interpreter Lock for details. Changin the realted value in Zope will
>acheive differing levels of performance.

Yes

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com