[Zope] Upscaling of performance

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
2 Nov 2000 20:16:29 +0100

Petr van Blokland <buro@petr.nl> said:
>Hi,
>does have anyone reference on or information about
>the upscaling of Zope for *very* large hit performance:
>1.000.000 per day or so?

I've sketched the following upgrade path for our Zope server which
eventually should host multiple ten/hundred thousand websites:
- At the moment, I have a single box with Zope and a Squid cache in front
  of it. "Static" DTML pages are tagged so that Squid will cache their
  rendition - this increased the throughput by a factor of ~6 on my box.
- Move Squid on a separate box.
- Move mySQL on a separate box.
- Move ZODB on a separate box (ZEO).
- Put a Linux Virtual Server director in front of your Squid box,
  and start adding Squid/Zope boxes (I figure ~3 Squid boxes per Zope
  box, depends on the amount of interactive content you've got) under
  the same IP.

On my home box (Dual PII/400, 256Mb RAM) I can do 120 hits per
second at the moment (with everything - Zope, Squid, mySQL, DNS *and*
the testing scripts running 5,000 normal websites and 95,000 "under
construction" sites), and I figure that I'll easily scale to twenty times
that much on a Linux Virtual Server cluster with all functions on separated
boxes (that are optimized for their tasks).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/