[Zope] Zope Book Beta / inserting anchors into the "official" HTML?

Jan H. Haul jan@haul.de
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:02:27 +0100

Simon Coles wrote:

> >I wholeheartedly agree with Jason and Chris. I would very much appreciate a
> >PDF version that could be easily printed, or read with Adobe's Reader.
>
> If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (you have to pay for
> it, as opposed to the free Reader) you can "Capture" web pages into a
> PDF. I created a PDF of the Zope Book beta to read on the train
> today. PDFs created in this way are full text searchable :-)

Well, that is not exactly the point - anybody can use, e.g.,
htmldoc (a very fine tool from www.easysw.com, which is not a big
moneydrain as Adobe distiller is).
The point in favor of a semi-official draft copy PDF is that it
gives us a common reference frame for reviews and feedback. The
PDF would mean everybody has the same page and line numbers,
while HTML has no such concept.

Hmmm. It would be pretty easy to cook up a script to number all
the <P> tags and include that number in the HTML as comments or,
even better, anchors so you can directly link to a paragraph). Of
course this makes sense only if it is done consistently, i.e., at
the source. That would certainly be fine with O'Reilly.

Cheers,
Jan