[Zope] ZMethod (Safe)

jpenny@universal-fasteners.com jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:16:10 -0500

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 01:12:12PM -0500, Evan Simpson wrote:
> From: Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
> > jpenny@universal-fasteners.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Now, how about internal/external?
> >
> > Safe and Flexible are probably more meaningful words there ;-)
> >
> > ZMethod is growing though ;-)
>
> We've pretty much settled on restricted/unrestricted here.  In honor of the presidential Indecision
> 2000 race, we're seriously thinking about revamping and rerunning the poll, so ZMethod may well get
> its moment in the spotlight.
>
> Cheers,

Well, you guys are the Zen Masters of Zope.  But, I am going to give one
more attempt at explaining why this decision is lacking in enlightenment.

The presumed audience of the terminology is newbies, not security managers.
We want everyone, but newbies in particular, to use the restricted method
whenever possible.  But no newbie wants to be restricted/strait-jacketed/
'kept from the cool stuff'.

You are proposing a term with negative conotations for the option that
we want people to prefer!

Moreover, some meritorious suggestions for names were overruled for being
too long, or hard to say.   Unrestricted/Restricted fail this criterium
also.  Unrestricted Zope ZMethod (8 syllables, 26 letters) is quite a
mouth full.

I understand your reluctance for Safe, with its immediate antonym Unsafe.

But, please find a positive term for the Restricted version.  Perhaps
Ordinary/Power, ''/Power, Ordinary/Super, ''/Super, Muggle/Wizard.

[If you use Super, the documentation can begin:
Stronger than a locomotive, able to leap strong buildings at a single
bound, able to import any module, able to escape for a secure lockbox,
a method with Super powers.  But don't unleash this method without
understanding it fully!]

Damn, I am beginning to think that Tame Snake Thingy and Wild Snake
Thingy are the best yet!

Hoping this increases satori.

Jim