[Zope] Newbie question(s)

Bowyer, Alex BowyerA@logica.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:23:34 +1100

> >I want to count how many objects are contained in the
> current container
> >object and then do something with that value, but I can't do
> the bit I
> >need to do at the point of reading the count variable
> because I am in
> >the wrong namespace.
>
> I would try and do it like this (untested):
>
> <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('itemCount', len(objectIds()))">
>
> Regards
>
>     Max M

Thanks Max, that is certainly useful in this case.

My query is really more general though, that was just an example, I need to
know what the generally accepted method is for transferring values through
the code (i.e between namespaces)

IMHO as far as Zope documentation goes, the thing that is really lacking is
a document introducing people to how to program in Zope, explaining the
overlaps between Python and Zope/DTML and explaining the different syntaxes
for calling variables, methods etc? There are a lot of references on
specific functions, methods etc but no general overview. Maybe the
forthcoming Zope book will address this better.

I am also still looking for example code using manage_delObjects.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Bowyer
IT Contractor, Logica Australasia