[Zope] User Source choices

Holger Lehmann lehmann@catworkx.de
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:03:54 +0100

We had a close look at all products available for sroting users in a sql db.

We tested:
GUF    -- did not work with Zope 2.2.x (yet)
MySQLUserFolder  -- colleague of mine had some trobles o this thing being
                                 outdated
UserDB -- works for us, but has some logical problem that has an impact on
                performance when having a lot of users. We will try to fix
                that asap.
LoginManager -- thoug being called the best here is it did not yet work for
                          us. We would like to get things started up with
                          LoginManager but constantly fail to get it up and
                          running.

As a Database we are using MySQL without any problems so far.

- Holger

PS: you might want to visit zdp.zope.org and look under Zope FAQ -> Topic 14.
"Scalability" for a FAQ about user folders.

Am Dienstag,  7. November 2000 14:35 schrieben Sie:
> This is a bit off-topic, but I wondered if anyone has any opinions on
> the matter.
>
> I'm going to use LoginManager for my user folder stuff, and I'm
> wondering which type of DB to use to store user information.
>
> Has anyone any advice about this?  Here's some of the free choices with
> what I know about them:
>
> MySQL is my first choice because I know it well
> postgres has transactions, stored procedures, but can scale badly
> SyBase I know nothing about
> LDAP (e.g. OpenLDAP) is optimised for this kind of thing, but I'm not sure
> I've quite grokked it yet
>
> Should my choice be dependent on the quality of the adapters available,
> or are all the adapters much the same?
>
> any comments appreciated,
>
> seb

-----------------------------------