[Zope] Search and replace

Lee Hunter lee.hunter@hum.com
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:58:38 -0500

Ouch!

Zope has no built in way to do search and replace? As an editor, that is a
*very* serious drawback indeed!

The first workaround you suggest may be useful when  creating new pages
although  only when you can guess what might change in the future and it
also requires that all of the people creating content think like
programmers, not writers.

The second approach seems somewhat risky, complex and challenging for an
unsophisticated user.

Isn't replacing text one of the most fundamental tasks when creating and
maintaining a web site or any other set of documents, for that matter?

Shouldn't there be a S & R tab on every folder object that provides a choice
of replacing html, dtml or text and that spits out a report on what was
changed? Or even better, that first gives you a report of *proposed* changes
and then allows you to check off the ones you want to ok.

Lee Hunter
Hum Communications Ltd.

I wrote:
> >Is there any way to do a 'search and replace' in a Zope
> folder (and it's
> >subfolders)?

Martin Winkler replied