[Zope] Search and replace

Lee Hunter lee.hunter@hum.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:40:56 -0500

Martin Winkler wrote
> I just wanted to express that this feature may be too hard to
> program for
> the (IMHO) rare cases that we really need it, but IF there

I had understood that Python and Zope excelled at string manipulation.
That's why I am surprised that it would be difficult to scan a folder full
of documents to find a word and replace it with another (with the option of
ignoring anything in pointed brackets). I'm not a programmer so I probably
don't appreciate the complexities of the task, however in this case it seems
like the object-oriented database is a hindrance rather than a help. If it
was just a batch of html files I could search and replace through them with
just about any piece of software on my desktop.

I wouldn't know whether this is the sort of tool that is generally useful,
but in my work I use search and replace all the time (if only to fix my
endless confusion over 'its' and 'it's')

Cheers

Lee Hunter
Hum Communications Ltd.