[Zope] Search and replace

Ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:05:09 -0800

Daniel Rusch wrote:

> I have been following this thread with mild amusement. Those of you who
> don't think that there is any need for a search and replace are being,
> at the least, disingenuous. Have you never needed to replace a dtml var
> that is on a hundred or more pages with another one, but replace it only
> on some of the pages???
>
> The lack of a search and replace, a find that actually "finds" a string
> on a page (instead of just the page) and other standard editor features
> are the reasons why Zope is being phased out of this companies (15,000
> person worldwide company, the worlds largest web hosting and fiber optic
> network) web tool set.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think Zope is the greatest thing since sliced
> bread. But, if Zope is to become anything other than a bastion for open
> source zealots (myself included), a real editor is a necessity not a
> nicety! Zope had the opportunity to sweep this company ( it could have
> ended up on hundreds if not thousands of servers) but the lack of a
> professional interface doomed it.
>
> DR

Sadly this is a constraint of zope ide's being browser based (or based
on current browsers). I would eagerly like to help out with a project
that would like to see this changed.  Building such an interface with
gnome or kde would be possible, indeed there are already efforts
underway to do both. But to create a cross-platform solution really
needs... Mozilla. Sadly, the ZopeMoz projects appears to be dead,
hopefully developer interest can be generated in reviving it after
ActiveState releases the python bindings to XPCOM (which should be
soon).

kapil