[Zope] URL-problem

Martin Winkler marwin98@gmx.net
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:18:16 +0100

At 12:19 21.11.2000, Jan Van de Vyle wrote:
>The problem is I've got a website which should have an
>admin-interface.This interface should only be visible if you call i.e.
>admin.website.com. If you call web.website.com you reach the normal browse
>view.

If you have Apache in front of Zope (good idea!), you should be able to use
Apache's mod_rewrite to implement this behaviour. See
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html
But beware! The documentation starts with "Despite the tons of examples and
docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo." (--
Brian Moore)

Maybe the easier module mod_alias could help you as well:
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html#redirectmatch

You have to split your URLs into parts and redirect to the correct location eg:
User types <http://admin.lifeofbrian.com/brightside>, Apache sees the
"admin" and redirects to <http://localhost:8080/brightside/manage>. On the
other hand: Is it so hard to type "/manage" after the url to connect to the
management interface?

hth,

Martin