[Zope] Objection to Python Script Name

Chris Gray cpgray@library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:57:14 -0500 (EST)

Greetings to the Knights-Who-Until-Recently-Said-Python-Methods,

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Chris Withers wrote:

> Chris Gray wrote:
> >
> > I know, I know.  It's a little late to speak up, but I think there is a
> > logical objection to this name:  inconsistency with "DTML Method" and
> > "ZSQL Method".
>
> These are old, horrible and will hopefully be re-thought and given
> different names ;-)

Granted.  My objection doesn't really apply if the naming of all the
standard Zope object classes is up for grabs.  If that's where things are
headed then it would probably be a good idea to have a set of guidelines
for the naming of parts of Zope.  Zope should underline its OO nature with
consistent naming of related things.

> > ZIP Method (Zope Internal Python Method)
> > ZoPy Method
> > PyZo Method
> > ZPython Method
>
> :-(
>
> All imply there is soem difference between the Python used by Zope and
> any other python ,which isn't, and never should be, the case...

But there is a difference for the internal methods (restrictions on
security and builtins), as well as similarities with other Zope methods
(the way you call it from DTML or via URL).  I was thinking of the analogy
with ZSQL.

BTW, can you use DTML tags in Python Script the same way you use them in
ZSQL methods?

Cheers,
Chris