[Zope] Objection to Python Script Name

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 07:28:58 -0800

Jason Cunliffe wrote:

> 2. Fixes the OReilly book in some sensible manner - add highly legible note
> on Page 1, update the index in useful manner to catch the differences.

Oh I'll be doing that one, no worries there.

> 3. Will explain to me 100% clearly what difference there is now between a
> regular Python script and a 'Python Script' in Zope?

There is no such thing as a "script" in the Python language (see the
index of the "language reference" on the python site, you will find
"method" and "module" but not "script").  "Script" is just a word that
is informally and commonly used to refer to a chunk of code written in
some language on some platform that is invoked by some action, possibly
from a "command line" or by double clicking on an icon.  In the case of
a Zope Python Script, the code is written in python, the platform is
Zope, and the "command line" is your web browser.

-Michel