[Zope] Python and EJB (J2EE)

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:30:29 -0800

>From: Ender <kthangavelu@earthlink.net>

Thanks for the comments. I'll reply other points in a few more days.

>as for distributed technologies, while xml-rpc is useful and simple its
>not useful (IMO) for enterprise programming, its too basic.

This maybe true. However, HTML is also basic and simple, but exactly because
of its simplicity, it became widely accepted and used. On the opposite end
is CORBA: because it's so complicated, there is no vendor out there that can
possibly implement all its features. Trading powerful features for a wider
acceptance at times does work.

SOAP is showing symptoms of becoming complicated. And that's a bad sign. See
Fredrik Lundh's implementation comment for Python SOAP at
http://www.pythonware.com/products/soap/profile.htm

>Profile
>Posted Jun 08, 2000
>
>SOAP 1.1 is a highly modular and rather complicated standard. Supporting
>every little nook and cranny is huge task, and since the specification is
>still a moving target, we've decided to do this implementation step by
>step.

OK. Even the guru describes SOAP as "rather complicated", what then for the
novices? I personally went through the SOAP protocol spec today and I had to
agree it's "rather complicated". SOAP is going down the path of CORBA all
over again. It's becoming COAP (Complicated Object Access Protocol). If not
because Microsoft is behind it, I'd dump SOAP right away. Due to its
simplicity, I'd say XML-RPC is here to stay, SOAP or no SOAP. It's
unfortunate that the twin brothers have to fare good-bye, but at the same
time I am glad that XML-RPC split off to remain simple. Future servers will
have to handle both: more work, but that's fate.

More on the other points later.

regards,

Hung Jung