[Zope] FYI: Python product tutorial updated

Darcy Clark darcyc@engin.umich.edu
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:51:51 -0400

Brian,

thanks for the reply ... I am currently more hopeful and feeling a little
better about the amount of time and effort that I have put into Zope;
knowing that the Zope book is coming also helps a lot. As someone else on
the list replied, the obscurity problem will be partially solved with the
book and others that will hopefully follow. I am in particular looking
forward to some case studies that show how to use *and* why you should use
some of the more complex Zope functionality.

After being immersed in Zope for so long (about a year), I decided it was
time to take a survey of the other tools out there - after doing a quick
survey, I came away still unimpressed with most of them. I still think Zope
requires more conceptual understanding (Zen?) that the other tools, but I'm
still convinced that these concepts, many of which I am still yet to fully
understand, offer far deeper and more elegant solutions to web development
problems than the majority of the other tools.

It's going to be tricky to achieve "optional complexity" - but that is
exactly the nature of Zope. There are several levels or layers of Zen -
after reaching each layer new potential ways to solve problems become
possible. For instance, I know enough DTML and SQL to implement most of the
functionality that I need and I have been writing my own ZClasses also. But
I don't yet fully grasp the full possibilities of the Catalog, and
Python/External Methods and I have had no luck getting any of the
alternative User/Membership systems to work for me. These latter
concepts/tools constitute my next level of complexity.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents ....

Darcy