[Zope] 'Offline' mailhost

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:52:43 +0300

Chris Withers wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > I'm not sure how well MailHost scales, but you can certainly store
> > thousands of names in a ZODB-managed list.  Tests done for the
> > BTreeFolder product prove it.
>
> Sadly, I think MailHost doesn't scale too well :-(
>
> What it'd need to do if you're sending the mail to a few thousand people
> is to be non-blocking.
> IIRC, currently, a method/page with a <dtml-in
> addresses><sendmail></dtml-in> tag pair in it will only return when the
> mail has been sent to all the recipients. So, if the mails going to lots
> of people, the page takes ages to return.

Perhaps it would be better to solve this by configuring your sendmail
(or other SMTP MTA) to be non-blocking, i.e. store-and-forward.

Also you could send just one message to all the recipients instead of
sending individual messages.

> This is the problem I had where our mail server was taking lots of time
> to send messages (it was doing lots of stuff to make sure the address
> was valid) so submitting posts on Squishdot.org was taking ages too.
>
> What, IMHO, is really needed is a mailhost/sendmail tag type thing that
> gets a message and a list of addresses to send it to. If it could do
> that in a seperate thread/process/whatever so that whatever calls it
> doesn't block, that'd be great. Of course, it'd need to have a 'hook
> back' method provided so any errors that occured could be dealt with.
>
> I wonder how mailman does this stuff and if the code could be borrowed
> for Zope?

Maybe you could just use mailman as MTA, greating temporary
mailing-lists.

--------
Hannu