[Zope] Zope with Apache

James Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:50:58 -0400

I asked this question a couple of months ago but received no response, so I
figured I would ask it again to see if anyone can answer the question...

We are running Zope behind an Apache server. We've got things configured so
that it mostly works. However, we noticed that the "breadcrumbs" list at
the top of a workspace screen doesn't work correctly. For example, if I'm
looking at the object /Foo/Bar/Baz, the list of items in the breadcrumbs
might look like this:

DTMLDocument at / Foo / Bar / Baz

The links to Foo and Bar do not correctly take into account the extra item
needed to tell Apache that the link goes to the Zope site. For example, the
link to Foo needs to say something like

http://foo.bar.com/Zope/Foo/manage_workspace

instead of

http://foo.bar.com/Foo/manage_workspace

The tabs for the management screens work fine, however.

In looking at what is happening, I believe the problem exists because the
links in the breadcrumbs line are relative links.  The link to "foo" would
look like this:

instead of

When I open the page, the URL I give my browser is "foo.bar.com", but my
Proxy settings in Apache redirect the request to
"foo.bar.com:8080/Zope".  When my browser sees the relative path, it
prepends the "foo.bar.com" instead of "foo.bar.com:8080/Zope" because it
doesn't know any better.  I've managed to get around the problem by
changing some code in the tabs_path_info method found in
Management.py.  Basically I modifed the code to prepend "BASE0" to each of
the items in the breadcrumbs list.  This way, I get absolute links instead
of relative.  However, I'm wondering if there is just some additional
configuration I need to do in Apache to fix this problem without modifying
Zope itself.  Has anyone else encountered this and is this a bug in Zope,
or is this simply a configuration issue that I need to resolve. If its a
configuration issue, what would I need to change.   Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

James W. Howe                   mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.              pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html