[Zope] Content Management System

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno.de
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 02:15:55 +0200

>> I'm beginning to wonder if
> > content management and system administration should be split out into
> > separate subsystems.  Or if a CMS Tool Kit should be developed.
(workflows,
> > syndication, etc...).

We (iuveno) are currently preparing a major project to write a full-featured
CMS on base of Zope. The first client will be a university, but the system
will also be usable in commercial environments, and it will be open source
from the first day on (except for the client-specific stuff of course).

The first draft of the general architecture is as follows:

There is a ZClass- or Python-product-based toolkit that provides the
standard functionality, like base classes, workflow logic, etc.

Plugin ZClasses implement the actual organization logic, so you can choose
between building a university, a sports club, or maybe a consulting business
by just choosing the corresponding modules.

Chromes (logos, stylesheets, ...) and Views (page layouts) are also
implemented as plugins.

There will be a full-fledged workflow/project management component (at least
in the long run).

The concept will build upon ideas from the PTK and the ZDP-tools.

There is a very simple prototype we will make public after some clean-ups.
We are checking at the moment if we should set up a now project homepage or
wiki or join an existing effort like the ZDP-tool-based initiative of Maik
Röder on or the PTK.

BTW: My experience with "dumb users" working with the Zope interface is
quite positive. As long as they just have to add, change or delete
predefined objects it doesn't seem to be that bad. They just shouldn't have
to know about DTML or even acquisition.

Joachim.