[Zope] How do I start ?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 20:36:06 -0400

Hi willem,

> Hi,
>
> I have just discovered Zope and am interested in developing a web based
> application

Great...

> but I don't know where to start.

:-)

> While I am going through the documentation, which will be of help no doubt,
> I hope these initial questions attract some replies.
>
> Here are some of my starting requirements;
>
> 1) I need to create a small DB retrieval(mainly) system with only 000's of
> records and possibly 00's of users.

OK.. this is doable.

> 2) Only a few nominated users will have update rights to the data.

Check the Zope Book draft doc at http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB
(security chapter)

> 3) The user needs to be able to search for all occurrences of any of the
> data items presented to them

(assuming these are the same data items you talk about in #4)... see the
ZSQL user's guide on Zope.org under Documentation.

> 4) It seems the users have a UNIX infrastructure with an existing DB that
> is ODBC compliant and has data items which  I need to retrieve and update.

There's no easy way to access an ODBC datastore from a UNIX platform
from within Zope right now, I'm afraid.  It's possible, AFAIK, but it's
somewhat badly documented.  Personally, I don't know how to do it.

> 5) Re: this last point, I'm not sure of yet if my app also needs to be
> hosted by the UNIX server or whether it can have it's own server and simply
> make ODBC calls to the UNIX box.

It's sort of strange that the UNIX box is accessed via ODBC.  This is
usually the case with Windows databases, but UNIX databases are
generally accessible directly.  I'd make sure that the assumption that
the database needs to be accessed via ODBC is correct.

> preferable. I guess having it all on the same box is more efficient.

It's probably not really all that important.