[Zope] Zope and the GPL poison pill

Jim Hebert jim@cosource.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:03:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Nils Kassube wrote:

> I'm only pointing out what I think is a problem with using a
> GPL'ed component in a Zope site.

> My Zope-specific problem is: If I use a GPL'ed component in a complex
> object oriented environment like Zope, does this mean that the whole
> work is now subject to the GPL?

Asked and answered. No.

Incidentally, perhaps you meant to mention something about distribution in
this question.

Pre-emptively, the answer is still "No, if you are smart and careful."
Which was what my previous post was alluding to.

Indeed, that became clear to me when you wrote:

> [...] I do not
> want to be forced to give away for free every piece of code I wrote
> because some silly person thinks it's okay to earn money with everything
> else but it's morally wrong to earn money with software development.

I salute you for your expertise demonstrated in avoiding discussing the
merits of the GPL, the GNU project or its members, and for your laser-like
ability to focus your commentary on the practical issues. I flame too, but
at least I'm not a hypocrite about it. =)

I give up. I don't really see how continuing to reply to a series of
hypocritical alternations between personal attack and pleas to return to
the topic could be productive, so this is my last post in the thread.
Flame away, you can have the last word and everything.

jim