[Zope] Re: Why no full Zope?

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:21:21 -0500 (CDT)

    Chris> Why not just use all of Zope and be done with it?

That's *much* easier said than done as far as I can tell.  I am maintaining
long-lived web site (> five years old), which is a mixture of flat html
files, CGI scripts, ZServer-published methods and XML-RPC.  On the middle
end, we use an XML-RPC server to support Perl, Python and Java clients.  On
the backend we just recently switched to MySQL from a homegrown database
system.

While most of these bits are supported by Zope, it would be a major
undertaking to replace all of what we have with Zope at this point.  I just
don't have the time or energy sufficient to do this.

Added to that, my business partners out on the left coast (the Mojam half of
my signature) use Mason (our CTO was one of the original Mason developers),
so any major reimplementation of Musi-Cal will use Mason, simply so we can
have a common development platform for our web sites and I can get out of
the web site maintenance business altogether.

Note that most of the inertia has absolutely nothing to do with Zope's
qualities.  Mostly it has to do with the realities of doing business in a
small dot com.  I actually do use Zope proper for another non-work-related
web site.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@mojam.com)
http://www.mojam.com/