[Zope] zSQl and changing connection ids?

David Hassalevris bluepaul@bluepaul.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 21:14:52 -0700

First, I would like to thank Dieter for his quick (and deflating)
response.

Ok, I was afraid of something like this. Let me ask the "Zope
collective" this:

How much work would be involved in creating an "alternative" zSQL method
(product?) that would accept the "connection id" as a parameter?  This
seems like such a natural.
Anyone found/thought of yet another solution? (Dieter - yes I am looking
for an easier way out :-)

> David Hassalevris writes:
>  > ....
>
> A Z SQL method consists of
>
>   the connection id,
>   the parameters
>   and the SQL template
>
> You want to share the parameters and the template but vary
> the connection id.

Dieter, that wasnt fair, you phrased my own question much more
elegantly.

> I think it is not a good idea to dynamically change the
> connection id to handle this case. You object would
> be changed continously and create lots of artificial
> versions - a bad thing.

No such luck as "local copies"?  The object manager always "commits"
changes? (hey Im new I can ask this stuff!)

> I would create several SQL methods that share a common
> SQL template. I fear, you would need to replicate
> the parameter parts.
>
> Thus, you would have:
>
> Z SQL method<n>:
>
>   Connection:   different ones according to object
>   Parameters:   explicit copies of the parameter list
>   Template:     <dtml-var common-template>
>
> It may be (I fear it will be) that you can not use
> "dtml-sql*" tags in "common-template".
> In this case, you have 2 options:

(waves of fear n loathing)

>  * emulate the "dtml-sql*" tags by normal tags
>
>  * make a small product that makes the "dtml-sql*" tags
>    generally available
>
> Dieter

Thanks Dieter, btw I just printed out your Zope book.  I suppose I
should read it.