[Zope] Classes & Objects Vs Relational Databases

Error error@gargl.net
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 04:30:37 +0200

> I'd suggest our new DBObjects. They implement REAL classes, that
> are stored in a relational database - PostgreSQL, as MySQL
> is not too well-suited for transactions etc. But DBObjects are not for
> starters yet. Be prepared for reading the code and stuff like that.

lol, i'm still using zope ;-)))))

> Currently, DBObjects just stores a very small footprint in the  ZODB to
make
> sure the objects can use all the Zope security etc. The data is stored in
> the SQL DB, so you can just use SQL for queries. The basic queries are
> auto-generated, like INSERTs or DELETEs, ...

sounds pretty nice in fact, i'll look into it...

is it alpha software, beta, or can i rely on it for such a project (about
20.000 docs of 1500 signs approx) ?

what are the shortcommings of using *normal* classes (appart from the fact
that data.fs is gonna get real big ?

a] does it slow down to a crawl ?
b] does it crash, smoke and burn ?
c] it is hjust baaaad practive ?