[Zope] RE: [ZCommerce] RE: Philip leaves Arsdigita [snip]

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:55:55 -0500

Walter, Albert, etc...

DC has committed no offense here. They've committed no fouls.

A few facts seem to be ignored in these pleas.

Ownership is really a poor term to describe truly open source software
such as Zope. Stewardship is a much better term.

DC has stated that:

1. Resources are limited.
    Read the list, there are many pleas for various
    things for which DC doesn't have the resources for.

2. They are willing to make accommodations for people who are
"contributing" to Zope and need something in core Zope to enable or
improve Zope for said feature.

3. They are concentrating on their core interest/skills which currently
is Content Management.

4. Their consulting projects have not entailed eCommerce.
     Which leads to their conclusion of priority of eCommerce for them.

Paul never stated (from my memory) that eCommerce was an itch that he
had and would really like someone else to scratch it. The fact that DC
would like or appreciate an excellent eCommerce product for Zope doesn't
mean that they have any current needs of one.

Anybody who uses Zope for website development receives monetary value
due to the fact they did not have to pay for Zope or any other web app
software. DC is a benefactor as such and not the beneficiary.

If DC were the sole beneficiary of Zope, there would be no community, no
one else contributing, no one else advocating, no one else desiring for

Anybody who has sufficient need of an eCommerce product and builds it
themselves in Zope is a beneficiary of building on the foundation of
Zope.

OpenACS is a testimony to the fact that "ownership" by the "creators of
the tool"TM is not necessary for success. OpenACS is a success in spite
of not due to arsDigita's stewardship.

There have been several consulting companies built up around ACS/OpenACS
without requiring blessing from arsDigita.

Rather than see DC go out and commit resources on eCommerce which
apparently does not currently impact any of their consulting gigs. I
would rather see them improve core Zope and continue on what they have
invested their knowledge and skills in.

Someone with the need and skills for eCommerce should steward this
project. DC has already provided the forums and resources (ZWiki,
fishbowl, etc.) to permit someone to get this going. DC contrary to
arsDigita has been much better at stewarding it's community.

I too would like to see eCommerce well supported. The website I am
currently working on will require such. When I get to that stage of
development, if one isn't available, I won't badger DC, I'll build what
I need. If it is good enough to contribute it back. I'll do so.

DC has been honest and forthright about this. They have given answers.
Don't badger them because the answers aren't what you wanted to hear.
They may be close to DC (Washington DC) but they aren't politicians. :)

If anyone here has unlimited resources (unlike DC), please contribute,
hire DC. I'm sure Paul (oops, just read the PR, maybe this should be
Brian) would be more happy to recruit more Pythoneers to work towards
building a better Zope.

No offense intended towards anyone here. I just wanted to state my
opinion on DC and on this matter. I have been a long time member of this
community, since it was a Bobo list, before Zope was open sourced.

Jimmie Houchin