[Zope] Can Zope act as an XML capable http client?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:12:39 +0200 (CEST)

Chris Beaumont writes:
 > The subject line says it.. I am trying to connect up to a legacy
 > FileMaker system which can act as a web server, serving up generic HTTP
 > content. I'd like to structure the templates so that this content is
 > available on the web in XML format.
 >
 > Can I use Zope to connect to this DB and download the XML via regular
 > HTTP, and then parse it?
Sure.

  You would need an External Method and
  either the Python modules "urllib" or "httplib" or
  the Python module "ZPublisher.Client".
  This gives you the HTTP part.

  Modern Zope distributions contain a "pyexpat" module,
  see below the "Shared" package. This will allow the
  XML parsing.

 > Id like to then be able to write it to *my* database using a ZSQL method..
It appears that you do not need to go through Zope for that.

  An external Python script should be able to do it, too.

Dieter