[Zope] Debug Management - Profile: Performance testing.

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:29:15 -0400

> just for fun, i tried this.
> what i tried
>
> inserting PROFILE_PUBLISHER=var/profile.log in my start
>
> and also
> export PROFILE_PUBLISHER=var/profile.log
>
> profiling is enabled.  but there's no profile.log in var

The profiling information is accumulated in memory until Zope
is shutdown (via the control panel). When you go to the
Control Panel and click shutdown, the profile.log will be
written.

> > Visiting the debug section of the control panel, visit the profile tab.
> > You'll see profiling information on that screen.
> >
> > The next trick is making sense out of it... but let's get you
> set up first.
>
> yes - i see stuff.  care to help me make some sense?
>
>         536018 function calls (518142 primitive calls) in 43.490
> CPU seconds

Zope profiling just uses the Python profiler (with some
extra machinery to deal with thread issues). You can use
the Python profiler docs to learn to read the output:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-profile.html

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909