[Zope] creditshard

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:41:32 -0400

Hello

I am *curious* to hear what you all think about Zope, openSource and
credits...

Looking throught the list at  http://www.zopezen.org/links I was surprisd to
see the radio station 1010Wins listed:

http://1010wins.com/
which looks like a fast food clone of
http://cbsnewyork.com/

But 1010wins.com is very fast and good at what it does.
Also a good commercial showcase for Zope in fact. Or would be..
Now www.zope.org is famous for not showing off its own products capabilites
http://www.zope.org/Resources/CaseStudies = new form of anti-adverstising
but this is ridiculous. 1010wins is not even listed on zope.org.

And neither 1010Wins nor CBSNewYork carry even the tiniest Zope logo. In
fact if you search for 'zope' on either you'll get this:

<quote>
Zope Error

Error Type: TypeError
Error Value: expected integer key
</quote>

oops!! ...go on try it if you want a good laugh :-)))
http://1010wins.com/search_results_html?bodyInput=zope
http://cbsnewyork.com/search_results_html?bodyInput=zope

At __least__ that should return a simple page which says:
This site is made with Zope..blahblah

Perhaps one could just build that in to ZCatalog as default

Ok, so everyone was way too busy keeping the client happy to worrry about
such trivia. And it is often easy enough to prove it is a zope site [==>
/manage]
But is it trivial for Zope to miss this?

Surely a minimum reasonable requirement / idea is that real zope sites,
especially those used in the commercial or media worlds should carry some
kind of logo/Zope_id/promo somewhere, even if not loudly on the home page
where screen_estate is at premium?

On could try to argue that as in many work for hire situations, the client
has no implicit obligation to credit individuals, expecially if the contract
says so. But even the movies go to some effort to blip your name up there
for couple of seconds at the end.

What does Zope stand to gain or lose by not by encouraging some modest
mimimum credit inclusive license?
How does it affect does DC and this community  likewise?

Is it tacky/helpful/irrelevant/essential to promote Zope in this fashion?
Isn't America already dead from logo-fatigue syndrome?

I am not trying to beat up on anyone, and I am truly delighted that DC's
priorities are work hard to succeed as a company while feeding a great open
source project. Elegant potent engineering arriving soon with good
stability, features amd documentation. Yes these do come before hype and
promo. But it seems a shame that ther is not a little higher profile
material to help everyone get gigs and win arguments for why trust Zope.

What do you think?
- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']