[Zope] What things _really_ mean

Paz paz@chello.nl
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:54:28 +0200

Um, not really. Objects refer to images, pages yes... but also other bits
like mp3s or text files... anything you may want to differentiate from
another 'object'... In a job-board, an object would also be a web page of
someone's CV.. or an image, or video or audio clip of that same CV.

A property is the html syntax that goes with the object. Beyond that HTML
syntax you can adopt your own... Take the same analogy of job board. The CV
of Paul Zwarts (that's me) is in 4 formats. HTML, Video, Audio and Word
document. All have to have a property called Name. (Either that or they
reside in a folder that is my name, but you see what it does).

Methods, are in fact calls to data. You want to organize your data, but not
just simply dump it on people point-blank. A method is a logic tidbit that
sorts and operands data invisibly to the user. It may be using SQL, or
Python methods, or other methods straight to other scripting languages. The
beauty of Zope is that is only the flour and egg that binds it together. The
frosting and spices are what make the cake its own kind as opposed to
another kind of cake.

Your bit about frosting on the cake is exactly what DTML is for. Its the
presentation layer. If your objects are organized properly, then the
presentation layer will determine the frosting color. As HTML was a
presentation layer for a flat file structure, DTML is the very same for
dynamic content that may come from different places at once, or one place
that is always changing.....

I'm a newbie myself, but I've had experience in SGML and other publishing
methods (even those that predate computers) so I kind of understand the
naming methods they use. I would suggest you check the Zope book as it
explains more detailed (in one place) the methodology and naming conventions
used by the Zopistas....

Perhaps you would be willing to post your article on the members site, or
somewhere convenient for you? I'd be interested in reading it.]

Paz