[Zope] zope rant

News system cg@cdegroot.com
15 Apr 2001 13:23:50 +0200

Paz <paz@chello.nl> said:
>I would suggest he also be aware of Uniface's
>(multi)million line-plus of coding in their kernel, as opposed to Zope that
>is a small fraction of that.

Uniface is written in C, Zope in Python. That probably accounts for a
difference in LOC by one order of magnitude. Furthermore, it could be that
Uniface is just not written very well (although Zope's code could do with some
major refactoring work as well), which tends to bloat LOC.

>Having worked for Tech Support at the Uniface lab, I've heard it all from
>customers. EVERYONE says how complex their application is... blah blah blah.

Having developed a really complex application for one of Uniface major
customers (license key serial number '13', IIRC :-)), I can say that I ran
into mostly the same limits with Uniface as with Zope, and solved it in mostly
the same way: by resorting to plain old code on the disk (for Uniface, it was
VAX Pascal code in shared libraries, for Zope, it's called a Product).
Compared to other development environments, I can say it sucks in both cases.

Zope could shine with just four things:
1. An IDE (modelled after Smalltalk);
2. Version control/configuration management;
3. A way to define classes in more places than the Products folder, so that
   you can have local ZClasses.
4. A major overhaul of the security stuff, which is a PITA to work with.