[Zope] zope rant

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:22:55 -0600

Win GO wrote:

> could anyone please comment regarding this link:
>     http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/why-not-zope.html
>
> it's an article i read on why not to use zope. i just want to know if the author's rants are justified.
>
>  TIA

This article raises legitimate points. Zope is a difficult and somewhat
opaque system to learn. If it were not open source, it would be nearly
worthless to me and a I would not use it. However, Zope is open-source
and written in one of the most readable computer languages.

But like many things that are difficult to learn such as walking,
driving and computer programming in general, there are worthwhile,
tangible rewards to spending time and energy
learning Zope. If there were not, I would not be writing this email.

Many of the points raised in this article point to ignorance of
developing in Zope. Everytime I have run against problems that cannot be
solved well with Zope's built in tools, I have fallen back to using the
amazing extensibility of Zope to get the job done. This extensibility
(owing much to Python), and no other feature, is the main reason I
continue to learn and use Zope today.

No Zope is not perfect, far from it. But the pace at which this
community can attack specific problems when they put their mind to it is
impressive. Zope does require more of a commitment than most other
computer software I have used. In my mind, however it is worth it.
--