[Zope] What do you use for document management?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:24:04 +0200

> I need to implement/acquire a document management system (for chip
> engineering docs) that works well with Zope. I have no experience in the
> field of DMS, so can someone point me in a good direction.

You can use Zope directly as a DMS. It offers FTP and WebDAV access,
document histories, full text and metadata indexing etc. Of course there is
some missing functionality, but this is being worked on, e.g. in the Content
Management Framework project.

The only serious problems you might get with Zope "out of the box" are full
text indexes for very large documents (ZCatalog might not be good enough or
too slow for that) or documents Zope does not know (e.g. PowerPoint; there
is an import filter for MS Word!) and handling very large files in general.
But if you choose to store all files in the filesystem and only keep
references in the Zope object database, the latter can be solved.

If you tell us more about the functionality you are going to need (either
privately or on the list), we might be able to support you as we are working
in this area, too.

Cheers,

Joachim Werner
iuveno AG