[Zope] large images to a database via zope.

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:44:32 -0400

> From: ethan mindlace fremen <mindlace@digicool.com>
>
> Well, a thread is locked for the entire time it is writing out to the end
> user. So get 4 simultaneous requests for a large file, and your site is now
> unresponsive (in a stock install.)
> Plus, ZServer doesn't really support http 1.1, so requests for an offset
> into the file currently result in the entire file being served.

Wouldn't both of those hold true if you had the large images on the local FS
and used localFS or ExtImage?

> In addition, there is still some overhead in treating it like an object, so
> it should be slightly slower than the local FS, though perhaps not slower
> than via a DB adapter.

Is it a fixed overhead, or linear (or worse) with size?  Also, using localFS
or ExtImage wouldn't there also be some kind of overhead?

>> Why the hard timeout?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a timeout based
>> on the inter-packet time (or can't that be seen from zope)?
>
> Yes. patches accepted :)

uhh.... I don't think I'm ready for that one :)