[Zope] Proposal of forking the zope@zope.org list

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:15:27 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <complaw@hal-pc.org>

> I agree with Tim.  First, splitting the list would mean that we would have
> monitor more groups.  Second, I have learned a lot from the more
sophisticated
> uses simply by keeping up with this list-group and I doubt the newbie list
> would be nearly as rich as the current list.  Third (although I don't do
it
> enough) I can help the newbies with those basic questions that I used to
ask
> and in some small way contribute to the group.  It is that last (important
if
> not crucial) input that makes this list so attractive to the new users and
thus
> enables them to get up the rather steep learning curve that Zope offers.

This raises some good points.

Zope clearly does not a have a simple linear learning curve - you might say
it is an objected-oriented one with acquisition effects thrown in frmo tmie
to surprising time. One may have a  decent grasp of one area, but that may
be unexpectedly upset or enhanced by a dicovery of somehtnig new in another
topic. The size adn ness of this list is its own worst enemy and also its
gretest virtue IMO. So what to do?

Splitting I fear will be less niose, but also less signal.
True one could simply  join all lists, but then there is the lack of cross
fretitilization of ideas and know-how which seems so eessential to Zope
growth and learning.

Many list divisions, though well intentioned really seems to be asking for
trouble.
3 [4 max] as suggested by Andy is more suitable: , zope, zope-newbies,
zope-dev and zope-install is a better idea. I think it will improve things
somewhat but spread the *blurring* effect more horizontally.

#1 First and foremost, I want much better subject headers, with a consistent
set of useful keyword stype prefaces, so that I can set my Mail software to
group them nicely but still benefit from the richness of the list. For
example: