[Zope] ZmxODBC vs ZODBC

alan runyan runyaga@thisbox.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:33:14 -0500

ok.  just got ZmxODBC working:

* install ZmxODBC and ZODBC
* copy the sql.pyd file from the ZODBC directory to the ZmxODBC directory
* copy mx /lib/python/Shared to /lib/python ;) to get it in the PYTHONPATH
* uncomment #from sql import * that is in ZmxODBC/dbi.py (could be dba.py, I
forgot) and all works well.
* crank zope up and hopefully you get no errors ;)

now, I havent look too heavily into this, but it seems that ZmxODBC seems to
work just fine.  I heard some people saying it was unpredicatable. could
someone please point me to instability problems you may have found with
ZmxODBC?  I am looking for the most reliable way to access ODBC datasources
from ZOPE.  I have used mxODBC (outside of ZOPE) before and its worked quite
well.  I'm doing a unrealistic test w/ httpperf and I'm not having problems
and memory usage isnt blowing up.  I dont see any problems.  mind you, I'm
only using it against MS Access - SQLServer will be tomorrow.

please email me if you have reproducible problems w/ ODBC and ZOPE.  I have
a client that is interested in ZOPE on Windows -- so far it looks like it
works reasonably well w/ ZmxODBC and Access (they will be using Access and
SQLServer).

thanks,
runyaga