[Zope] Running zope on port 80

Farrell, Troy troy.farrell@wcg.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:31:27 -0500

Edit $ZOPE_ROOT/start with your zope user:

#! /bin/sh
reldir=`dirname $0`
PYTHONHOME=`cd $reldir; pwd`
export PYTHONHOME
exec /usr/bin/python \
     $PYTHONHOME/z2.py \
     -w 80 -u zope_user "$@"

Use the technique below to run start as root.  Zope will change users to the
zope_user once it lays claim to port 80 which requires root access.

Troy

-----Original Message-----
From: marc lindahl [mailto:marc@bowery.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 11:10 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Running zope on port 80

I ran into this running redhat wolverine.  The issue was that linux running
XINETD (http://www.xinetd.org).  Which is a great thing.  But means you have
to open up ports for them to work.  What I ended up doing is telling zope to
look for port 127.0.0.1:8080 only, and telling xinetd to redirect port 80 to
127.0.0.1:8080 (localhost).   So the xinetd section looks like (you could
just put this in the /etc/xinetd.d directory):

# default: on
#
service http
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = zope
        redirect        = localhost 8080
        disable         = no
}

I just redirected the port instead of running the server, which I did at
startup (so I could get the other ports, etc.) - that script is:

#!/bin/sh
# chkconfig: 2345 99 00

case "$1" in
'start')
    /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.3.1/start -u zope -p - -W 8081 \
        -a 127.0.0.1 -t 20 \
        &> /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.3.1/var/log/startup.log &
    touch /var/lock/subsys/zope
    ;;
'stop')
    /usr/local/zope/Zope-2.3.1/stop