[Zope] Re: Calling a dtml-method that has an extension (Was: Re: [Zope] Creating files on server)

Gitte Wange gitte@mmmanager.org
25 Apr 2001 16:13:22 +0200

On 25 Apr 2001 15:49:19 +0200, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi Gitte,
>
> are you sure, the extension .smil is really needed?
> Setting the mime-type in return should be sufficient:
>
> <dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('application/smilwhatever')">
>
> of course you have to know how the mime-type is called
> actually ;)
>
> Can you explain in short what you really want to do?
> Do you link to a page which should serve the
> smil-file? Then you have something like
>
> eventually with several url-encoded parameters after it.
>
> HTH
> Tino Wildenhain

[SNIP a lot of text]

Hello again,

Okay here is exactly what I need to do:
When streaming mediafiles through a RealServer, you can (instead of
linking directly to the mediafile) link to a SMIL-file. SMIL is a markup
language just as HTML, DTML etc.
This SMIL-file contains the description (or receipie) for how RealServer
should play your mediafile (e.g. clip-length etc.) ...
In order to make the RealServer recognize the SMIL-file, it needs to
have an extension of .smil (or .smi).

I have these shows (containing a lot of clips from a mediafile) that I
need to play.
So I want to create a bunch of SMIL files (one for the complete show and
one for each clip).
When first displaying the show, the player must start by playing the
show-SMIL-file. Then you can hit each clip and the player will play
these clips SMIL-files.

I have - maybe - found a solution for my problem.
I have made a DTML-method called SmilGenerator (no extension).
This is called with a clipid.
Then you find all the clips data in the database from the id.

And the you call manage.addDTMLDocument(docid,doctitlle,smilfile.smil)

But I have som problems here.
I need to pass some variables from the database result to this new
SMIL-file but how ?
I have tried with <dtml-let> and it worked - sort of.

The big problem is that the first line in the SmilGenerator method is
<dtml-in expr="sqlGetClipData(clipid=clipid)"> but I get a NameError
here because Zope says it can't find the sqlGetClipData query. It is in
the same directory as the method that calls the SmilGenerator is ....
weird ?

So if you have any hints, good ideas ... anything .. your are most
welcome to post them to me.

Regards,
Gitte