[Zope] membership directory

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:21:25 +0100

Hi Ale,

I had a quick read of your project pages, and I'd say the CMF is
probably the right kind of direction, although I wasn't clear what
your requirements are.  For example, if you just want a fancy,
web-based address book, you could pretty much slap something together
in about a day (after getting up to scratch with the CMF).  If you're
doing that, though, would it be a better idea to base the directory in
LDAP and interface to that from zope?  that way you get massive
scalability and interoperability with major email client address
books.  If you're not into that, or you don't need the scalability,
consider not using a RDBMS at all - that way, the product is easier to
set up and might be more appropriate to charities - you could just
post it to them on a cdrom and they would just run install and go.
Plus, it's much more pleasant working inside the ZODB than having to mess
around with SQL.

seb