[Zope] diff releases - explanations

Tom Cameron tom@mooball.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:55:54 +1000

I started writing this question and then finally solved it myself, but I
figured it was worth posting still as a recommendation.

I am running Zope-2.3.0 (which I successfully installed from src on FreeBSD
a few months ago) and wish to upgrade.

I have downloaded Zope-2.3.x-to-2.3.1-src.tgz and unzipped it, but I can't
(couldn't) find any instructions on what to do.

The doc folder only contains:
CHANGES.txt
FAQ.txt
LOGGING.txt
none of which explain how to install this. And as far as I can see no other
docs are included.

I read
http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/zopeinstall/ZOPE-INSTALL-HOWTO but
that does not seem to match the file I have downloaded. The file I have
downloaded looks more like a patch rather than a full installation.

Nor does http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.2.0/upgrading_to_220 - this
seems outdated.

I then went to http://www.zope.org/Documentation/admin but nothing there
either.

Finally I searched the mailing lists and found
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zope/message/54997

The last 11 lines of this letter explain what to do (I think). Nothing on
the site or in the file explains that it is a "diff" release (or what a
"diff" is - or what to do with it).

I would recommend that some instructions and explanations be placed on
http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.3.1 where the files can be downloaded
from.