[Zope] EmergencyUserCannotOwn and log-in errors

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:18:12 -0500

>I'm very new to using zope and am having a spot of bother.
>I have edited my /var/zope/access file to allow me to login
>as super user from lewis.example.com (and preserved the
>ownership on that file [checked it against a ls -l > ls-l.snapshot
>which I did/created before editing the access file).
>
>I created 2 users, ken-o (an owner) and ken-m (a manager),
>with identical passwords.

Read zope/doc/SECURITY.txt for the usual way to bootstrap Zope users.
You should use inituser to create a Manager level user which can then
deal with other users.

>I can't log in as either of those 2 users that I created,
>nor can I create a script when logged in as superuser - I keep
>getting a "EmergencyUserCannotOwn" error.

The Zope 'superuser' concept isn't the same as the Unix 'root' concept.
(Thus the recent renaming to 'Emergency User'.)  This user isn't a
normal user, but a special role there to save you should you do
something stupid like change the security permisisons to lock your
Managers out. Since it is only meant to be used in rescue operations,
the superuser cannot own objects (and by extension, cannot create them
either.) Notice, for instance, that there is no 'superuser' in the base
user folder.

>I doubt that it makes any difference, but the ID that I entered
>for creating the python script is "hejda" - should the ID be
>numeric?

Call it whatever you like. Should make no difference, unless you
override something that already exists.

            --jcc
        (no emergency)