[Zope] Large data.fs

Bill Anderson bill@immosys.com
02 Aug 2001 21:24:57 -0600

On 02 Aug 2001 10:19:41 -0400, marc lindahl wrote:

> > From: Takashi Linzbichler <takashi.linzbichler@smartferret.com>
>

> > you could use ext2 as well since its fully LFS-compliant. ext2
itself
> > was never the problem, but (as someone had already pointed out in
here)
> > the VFS-layer in Linux (which was heavily influenced by
> > i386-architecture -> 32bit).
>
> Reading your reference, it looks like SuSe has added LFS recently, but
> don't see that RedHat has it (checking the redhat site, only mentions
that
> glibc supports it, and I know from experience that with the standard
> installation, it doesn't, with 7.0 or 7.1).

Not True. it may be true that Python has a problem with large files, it
is not true that RH does. Though, nearly all of my test scripts ar ein
python, and I do not have anu issues on any of my machines wiht >2Gb
files.

> > But you should not mix up systems with LFS (large file support) an
such
> > withpout (e.g. Linux 2.2.). The 2.2 based System will be able to
read
> > from large files, but nothing  more.
>
> From my point of view - I'm not going to modify the makefiles of
everything
> and recompile it, from bash on up, so it's an academic distinction,
given my
> platforms (i386 and ppc).
>
> So, currently, 'out of the box', SuSe is good, I believe someone else
> mentioned debian as well.  For redhat, you need an alternative (XFS
was
> painless for me).

Perhaps a little background is in order. I work for Hewlett packard,
testing their Virtual Array product on Linux. I have several machines
with stock Redhat 7.1, with filesizes in the several gigabyte range (and
one that is nearly a terabyte!). I do this on a daily basis, creating,
deleting, and building. It works.

On some of them, I do not even have XFS installed. Most of these files
are on ext2, bone-stock redhat 7.1, as that is the testing requirement.

Technically, Redhat 6 supported LFS (*cough*on ext2*cough*)... on non-32
bit platforms. :)

I have a couple of 3 gigabyte sized Data.fs files , and a much, much
larger one ... how does 198GB grab you? ;).

To say that RH 7.1 does not suport  LFS is simply wrong. In fact, if it
were true, your XFS partition would likewise have an issue with LFS.
Actually, there is a limitation on filesize and filesystem size with XFS
on Linux, but I doubt you'll be reaching that anytime soon. :) And it is
due to the Linux VFS, as well.

Sorry if it sounds like nitpicking, but it is a very important
distinction. The current limit on filesize on ext2 on 32 bit systems is
2TB.

Bill