[Zope] Zope v OpenACS and nonprofit application developers

Ausum augusto@artlover.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 01:35:33 -0500

I think Zope has more potential to spread and increase its users base than
OpenACS.

I really like Photo.net (a large "heavily modified"-according to them-, ACS
implementation) and really would like to replicate some of its most
appealing features. But as I'm not a DBA, and to learn to manage databases
seems to be unwilling for an information architect, I find Zope to be a
better choice for an excellent basement to any future low-cost,
information-rich web site.

>From my point of view Zope has the advantage of running in Windows boxes as
well as Unixs, because it lets non Linux gurus to give Zope a try at the
very first time, with a single installation. Also, this single installation
is really a huge help, because it allows the newbie to see the learning
curve as an answer to "how do I do more?" instead of "how do I get all this
to work?".

Zope IS really easy to learn IF there's someone to tell the basics. When
Zope reaches the classrooms, and there are teachers teaching
fundamentals -like the acquisition concept- I'm sure the users base will
grow really faster. I don't know about other languages, but I see myself as
an example that the gap between htmlers (every other web worker except DBAs
;) ) and database administrators, is easily filled with DTML (and of course
ZPT, wich is meant to be the DTML's succesor).

I keep admiring the philosophy under Ars Digita. I'd like to see something
living as Alex (or George?) as a logo for the Zope platform, and some color
at Zope.org  (for God sake!  ;)  )  but (fortunately) it seems like  the
community  doesn't need it.

Ausum