[Zope] Large data.fs (just the Faqs)

Takashi Linzbichler takashi.linzbichler@smartferret.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 09:42:42 +0200

Hi Marc,

[we should keep this task short, it's etting a bit OT ..]

marc lindahl wrote:

> > you could use ext2 as well since its fully LFS-compliant. ext2 itself
> > was never the problem, but (as someone had already pointed out in here)
> > the VFS-layer in Linux (which was heavily influenced by
> > i386-architecture -> 32bit).
>
> Reading your reference, it looks like SuSe has added LFS recently, but I
> don't see that RedHat has it (checking the redhat site, only mentions that
> glibc supports it, and I know from experience that with the standard
> installation, it doesn't, with 7.0 or 7.1).

OK, perhaps the reference was chosen a bit unluckily, but it was the
first one at hand. It does _not_ depend on the Distro you're using, as
long as you've got Kernel 2.4.x. (If you don't believe me, at least
believe Bill A., who already pointed this out :-) )

Nothing to patch, recompile, or whatever. Just install and go with it.

> >From my point of view - I'm not going to modify the makefiles of everything
> and recompile it, from bash on up, so it's an academic distinction, given my
> platforms (i386 and ppc).
>
> So, currently, 'out of the box', SuSe is good, I believe someone else
> mentioned debian as well.  For redhat, you need an alternative (XFS was
> painless for me).

Yup and there _are_ reasons to use XFS (jounaling ...), but we shouldn't
mix up the topics.

	ta

smartferret it-consulting Dipl.-Ing. Linzbichler KEG

Dipl.-Ing. Takashi Veikko Linzbichler
Tannhofweg 28/3
A-8044 Graz, Austria

Tel.:   0316 / 39 89 40 -0